Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day Three: It's not easy being Green and Italian.

I know it's bad to skip breakfast, and I've always prided myself on making sure that I have an adequate morning meal every single day of my life; but this morning was different. I was feeling a little apathetic about breakfast, so I turned to my new lifesaver: vegan cinnamon twists.
They're hollow, so don't get your hopes up.
But, they're still satisfying, nonetheless.
They're just mini...mini........um...twists of wheat, I guess? They have cinnamon sprinkled on them, and...you know what, I'm just gonna post a picture.
Here they are:


Kinda cute, right?


It's Sunday, and I'm Italian so that means that I don't have lunch. The clock stroke 2, and I was at my grandma's house, with all of mia familia in la bella cucina for our weekly/early Sunday dinner of lasagna and bread and wine and some more bread.
I practically sat in tears as I watched my family eat my grandparent's famed lasagna, while I was stuck with plain ol' spaghetti, which really is nothing when you compare it to lasagna, especially when your cousin Matt is sitting next to you and listing all the reasons why being a vegan isn't worth it when there's lasagna on the planet.
I didn't think it could get any worse until everyone started pulling out boxes from Capri, and all of a sudden, there was a canoli buffet in front of me, and.....................................................................

I had to walk away.

It was the most shameful moment of my life.

Really.

Have you ever seen what a cannoli buffet looks like?
It's beautiful.




I couldn't even have a proper cup of espresso, I was stuck with tea. I mean, I love tea, but nothing beats a good cup of espresso after grandma's Italian sunday dinner; and see, the whole point of a cannoli and an espresso is the dunking. You don't just eat the cannoli. You dunk the cannoli in the espresso, and then you eat it. It's a beautiful sport, you should try it sometime.
This may be my "deal breaker," as a vegan.
Can I really live my entire life without dunking a cannoli in an espresso when I've been taught to do that since I was three?
The answer is no, sorry vegans.
Well, my family is here watching the Superbowl and I feel a tad isolated right now, so I'm going to end this post because I want to get back to them; the only good thing about continuing this post would be that I wouldn't be tempted to grab a cannoli off of the buffet which was moved to my dining room table after grandma's.
Today was the worst day of Vegan Week, by far.
Italians were not meant to be vegans.
We'll see how the rest of the week goes.
caio.
(p.s: there's two 'vegan thoughts' of the day. I know, it's exciting.)
*VEGAN THOUGHT OF THE DAY 1: Vegan's should be allowed to have their grandparent's lasagna.
*VEGAN THOUGHT OF THE DAY 2: Vegan's should be allowed to have cannoli's. Or they should at least make vegan cannoli's, I mean, COME ON.

No comments:

Post a Comment